Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
Here at the Dog Breed Info Center®, we believe in learning how your dog thinks, what its instincts are, what it needs as a canine animal to be happy and to work on fulfilling them in order to have a wonderful companion, rather than getting a dog and trying all of its life to get it to understand human.
Dogs are a mammal of the Canidae family, of the order Carnivora. Canis lupus familiaris is a domesticated subspecies of the wolf. Commonly referred to as a canine, dogs have instincts, which we as humans have a responsibility to fulfill. We believe if a human is not willing to learn about the dog as the animal it is, they have no business keeping the animal in captivity.
I've been told that tapping into a dog’s natural instincts is an outdated method. I find this way of thinking extremely sad for the dogs. Contrary to what some may like to believe, dogs have not evolved into little humans over the years or lost their original canine instincts. We humans are the ones who have lost touch of their instincts.
Most owners mean well and would like to learn more about the animals they are choosing to keep with their human families. In addition to the wealth of information on this website we are also providing a list of additional resources that do a good job of explaining this amazing animal that we call the dog. These resources base their philosophy on the psychology of the animal, rather than basing it on an image of human psychology. As the saying goes, "If you want an opinion, ask a human. If you want the facts, ask the dog."
Understanding Dog Behavior—Dog Breed Info Center®
The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)—By The Monks of New Skete
Cesar Millan DVDs —The Dog Whisperer
Cesar Millan Books —The Dog Whisperer
Training Dogs the Aussie Way, by Sylvia Wilson —Bark Busters, the world’s largest dog training company
Written by Sharon Maguire © Dog Breed Info Center ® All Rights Reserved
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- Listen to the Dogs
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?