Whelping a messy litter of pups
MESSIER than normal.... Some litters make minimal mess; this one was very messy. It had me a little worried but all is 100% fine.
Two horns, both trying to come out first—she broke them both so that sped up the decision; they then could retract back and one pup could decide who is to come first, as both cannot come at the same time.
Presentation of the first pup; it took LOTS of pushing to get it here, but that is as far as she could get on her own. She almost needed an episiotomy because it would only come this far; she would push, and back in he would go.
I had to help get the head out. The tongue was still pink so no worries yet.
The head is out, yippee! The sac is still on. I will now break the sac get the puppy going, and then try to get the rest of the body out. Kinda neat, he is in a bubble.
A white male is OUT. He weighs 9 oz. I properly removed the dewclaws, did the cord care, and then he was nursing.
I have a hold of the placenta, but the hemostats sucked back inside of the dam. This is fine because I want to make sure I get four placentas out.
Here comes the biggest pup, number two, a tan male weighing 9 oz.
This is about as far as she is able to get him out on her own.
...he is out.
Both pups are under a hot rice pad, both nursing.
OH YUCK. Green discharge. I don't like this. The third pup is taking an HOUR to get out. I am starting to worry.
Finally boy three comes, weighing 7.5 oz. It was fairly easy to get him out, but messy.
Told you he was a MESS MAKER! I had to work to get him out. I am not sure what happened, but I knew I had limited time if this green meant his placenta detached.
After another hour pup number four arrives weighing 8.5 oz. This pup was fairly easy. He is still in the sac in this picture.
All is happily ever after...xo. All cleaned up and Mom is happy.
Courtesy of MistyTrails Havanese
- You Want to Breed Your Dog
- Pros and Cons of Inbreeding Dogs
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Whelping and Raising Puppies: Breeding age
- Reproduction: (The Heat Cycle): Signs of Heat
- Breeding Tie
- Dog Pregnancy Calendar
- Pregnancy Guide Prenatal Care
- Pregnant Dogs
- Pregnant Dog X-Ray Pictures
- Full-Term Mucus Plug in Dog
- Whelping Puppies
- Whelping Puppy Kit
- First and Second Stage of Dog's Labor
- Third Stage of Dog's Labor
- Sometimes Things do not go as Planned
- Mother Dog Almost Dies on Day 6
- Whelping Puppies Unfortunate Troubles
- Even Good Moms Make Mistakes
- Whelping Puppies: A Green Mess
- Water (Walrus) Puppies
- C-Sections In Dogs
- C-Section Due to Large Dead Puppy
- Emergency Cesarean Section Saves Pups Lives
- Why dead puppies in utero often require c-sections
- Whelping Puppies: C-section Pictures
- Pregnant Dog Day 62
- PostPartum Dog
- Whelping and Raising Puppies: Birth to 3 weeks
- Raising Puppies: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- Pups 3 Weeks: Time to start potty training
- Raising Puppies: Pups Week 4
- Raising Puppies: Pups Week 5
- Raising Puppies: Pups Week 6
- Raising Puppies: Pups 6 to 7.5 Weeks
- Raising Puppies: Pups 8 Weeks
- Raising Puppies: Pups 8 to 12 Weeks
- Whelping and Raising Large Breed Dogs
- Mastitis in Dogs
- Mastitis In Dogs: A Toy Breed Case
- Why are Toy Breeds Harder to Train?
- Crate Training
- Showing, Genetics and Breeding
- Trying to Save a Fading Dachshund Puppy
- Whelping and Raising Puppies Stories: Three Puppies Born
- Whelping and Raising Puppies: All puppies do not always survive
- Whelping and Raising Puppies: A Midwoof Call
- Whelping and Raising a Full Term Preemie Puppy
- Whelping Small for Gestational Age Puppy
- C-Section on Dog Due to Uterine Inertia
- Eclampsia is Often Fatal for Dogs
- Hypocalcemia (low calcium) in Dogs
- SubQ hydrating a Puppy
- Whelping and Raising a Singleton Pup
- Premature Litter of Puppies
- A Premature Puppy
- Another Premature Puppy
- Pregnant Dog Absorbing Fetus
- Two Pups Born, Third Fetus Absorbed
- CPR Needed to Save One Puppy
- Whelping Puppies Congenital Defects
- Puppy with Umbilical Cord Attached to Foot
- Puppy Born with Intestines on the Outside
- Litter Born with Intestines on Outside of Bodies
- Gone Wrong, Vet Makes it Worse
- Dog Loses Litter and Starts to Absorb Puppies
- Whelping Puppies: Unexpected Early Delivery
- Dog whelps 5 days early due to dead pups
- Lost 1 Puppy, Saved 3
- An Abscess on a Puppy
- Dewclaw Removal Done Wrong
- Whelping and Raising Pups: Heat Pad Caution
- Whelping and Raising a Large Litter of Dogs
- Whelping and Raising Dogs While Working
- Whelping a Messy Litter of Pups
- Whelping and Raising Puppies Picture Pages
- How to Find a Good Breeder
- Pros and Cons of Inbreeding
- Hernias in Dogs
- Cleft Palate Puppies
- Saving Baby E, a Cleft Palate Puppy
- Saving a Puppy: Tube Feeding: Cleft Palate
- Ambiguous Genitalia in Dogs
Although this section is based on a whelping of an English Mastiff, it also contains good general whelping information on large-breed dogs. You can find more whelping information in the links above. The links below tell the story of Sassy, an English Mastiff. Sassy has a wonderful temperament. She loves humans and adores children. An all-around mild mannered, wonderful Mastiff, Sassy, however, is not the best mother toward her puppies. She is not rejecting them; she will nurse them when a human places them on her to feed, however she will not clean the pups or pay any attention to them. It is as if they are not her puppies. This litter is getting mom’s milk with major human interaction, manually giving each and every pup what they need. In return, the pups will be super socialized and will make remarkable pets, however the work involved is astounding. It takes one dedicated breeder to keep this situation healthy. Thankfully this litter has just that. Read the links below to get the full story. The pages within include a wealth of information that everyone can appreciate and benefit from.
- C-Section in a Large Breed Dog
- Newborn Puppies... What you need
- Whelping and Raising Large Breed Puppies: 1 to 3 Days Old
- Things do not always go as planned (imperforate anus)
- Orphaned Litter of Pups (not the plan)
- Raising Puppies 10 Days Old Plus +
- Raising Puppies 3 Week Old Puppies
- Raising Puppies 3 Weeks - time to start potty training
- Raising Puppies 4 weeks old
- Raising Puppies 5 weeks old
- Raising Puppies 6 weeks old
- Raising Puppies 7 weeks old
- Socializing the Puppies
- Mastitis in Dogs
- Whelping and Raising Large Breed Dogs Main
- Whelping and Raising Puppies, a new found respect