Bruno the Boxer
A day in the life with Bruno the Boxer. 6 years old—90 pounds, 24 1/2 inches from the ground to the highest point of the shoulders (the withers).
6 years old.
Bruno is an excellent poser. You can dress him up and ask him to stay for pictures, or balance things on his snout such as a tasty treat and he will stand still until you tell him to get it.
Bruno is such a good poser that Sara decided to have a little fun with it.
She created a Twitter account called ThingsOnBruno where you can see lots of pictures of Bruno posing, usually with food on his snout. Bruno loves the trick because he knows if he stays really still she will soon tell him to "get it". Bruno loves eating. He eats anything. He is rather good at catching whatever it is on his nose in the air in one fast swoop! If what is on his nose is not edible Sara will remove it after the picture and hand him something to eat. Here he is with a Pringle on his nose.
Bruno posing with a mandarin orange on his nose. Yes, he loves to eat them, too.
Even at 6 years old Bruno manages to get himself into trouble. He likes to toss his red ball around and pounce on it. He usually, by pure luck, misses hitting anything important. This time however he was not so lucky, or should I say I was not so lucky. Smash! He hit the lamp, which came crashing to the ground where it buzzed into darkness. Both Bruno and spencer who had been playing when Bruno decided to give the ball a toss across the room, ran to the front door at the sound of the crash. Yikes, I don't think that was supposed to happen!
This is Bruno playing with this favorite toy, the red ball.
Bruno loves doing tricks for treats. Here he does the food snout catch, the dead dog trick and the hello wave. Bruno will often eagerly snatch food out of your fingers a bit too rough so Sara asks him to take the food calmly with a gentle command. At the end Sara is all out of food, but Bruno still wants more.
Raising a Puppy: Bruno the Boxer
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- Listen to the Dogs
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?