The Adventures of Bruno the Boxer and Spencer the Pit Bull
Bruno and Spencer Meet Banjo the Newly Rescued Kitten
Banjo the kitten had just been rescued from an old flea-ridden horse barn. Bruno and Spencer had seen him from a distance, but we never let the dogs get close enough to really meet Banjo—not until we were sure the fleas were all dead and the ear mites gone. The kitten had been taken right to the deep laundry room sink for the treatments and then had left the house for the night. A couple of days later, when we were sure the kitten didn't have any contagious parasites, we allowed the dogs to meet Banjo.
We walked into the room and I didn't even have time to take the dogs’ leashes off. The kitten started walking over to the dogs.
Oh yes, this is one brave kitten. I guess when you are born in a barn with a bunch of horses, a Boxer and a Pit Bull seem like a piece of cake.
Banjo is getting closer.
As he gets closer he starts to puff himself out.
Banjo’s hair is standing on end as he looks at these two creatures that are looking back at him.
Spencer is looking as if that little thing just might pounce on him any second. Can't be too careful! Bruno, on the other hand, is a pro. He knows how to handle these strange creatures the humans call “cats.”
As the cat gets closer Bruno lowers his head even more.
Look Spencer, this is how you handle these dangerous, unpredictable things with claws. You relax and just do whatever they say. If you do, they will leave you alone. Look, like this.
Bruno passes the Banjo test and the ninja-kitty moves onto Spencer. Spencer was not as relaxed as Bruno. He knows at any moment he could get a whack in the face. Sure enough, that is what the kitten did at one point, moved his paw toward Spencer's face. Spencer jumped three feet. YIKES! I've been attacked by the ninja-kitty! Spencer immediately lowered his head, wagged his tail, curled up in a half-circle at Amie and licked her face as if to say, he started it. I do not plan on going after that kitten, but did you see what he did to me?!
Spencer lay down on the floor but he kept his eye on the ninja-kitty...
...and the ninja-kitty ran off and attacked Amie from behind.
It has been about 3 months since Spencer visited with Banjo. Banjo went right up to Spencer and started rubbing all over him. Watch Spencers reaction to this bold kitten.
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- Listen to the Dogs
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?