The Adventures of Bruno the Boxer and Spencer the Pit Bull
Winter Cabin Trip
Bruno and Spencer go on a winter cabin trip with 12 kids and 8 adults.
It was a cold few days with snow. It snowed almost the whole time, sometimes coming down heavy. Dog coats were a must if they were to be out any length of time. They spent more time inside than out because of the weather, but they had a blast with all of the human adults and kids.
They went on a two-mile walk every morning and a few shorter walks in between. After their walks they were content to spend time inside the warm cabin.
The snow is really coming down now.
Bruno, you are turning white!
Bruno's knee recovery is going very well. He handled the snow with no problems.
Brrr, it's cold even with our coats on!
Hey mom, what do you say we head back inside now?
Oh boy, oh boy! Do I see a group of kids heading our way?
Sara gives the dogs a treat for a trick.
Outside finding a spot to do their morning business
At night when the group met at a second cabin the dogs had a blast. Both of them liked to walk around to the back of the couch and lick people in the neck. Ewwwww... Some of the humans had fun starting play sessions with them. I reminded the humans who were playing with the dogs to make sure the dogs minded their manners. No jumping up on the couch or on humans. Don't let them get too pushy and make sure the humans were the ones to end the play. If you egg them on to act crazy you may find yourself with a dog that gives you more than you can handle. There is a reason why they are good dogs and they can very easily forget their manners if the humans encourage them and do not stick to the rules.
The kids went outside to play hide-and-seek in the dark on the cold, snowy night—a tradition that continues in all types of weather. They are a brave, hardy bunch! Spencer would have loved to go out with them, but he had to stay inside and wait. It was too cold and dark to let him out running free. The open land goes for miles with all types of wild critters that he would have loved to wander off tracking. He also would have given away everyone’s hiding spots with that excellent nose of his! He waited, looking at the door. Kids trickled in as they got found and he greeted each one happily.
Bruno and Spencer's favorite place was by the fire. It was the cabin's only heat source. There is also no electricity. It is lit with lanterns.
Spencer by the fire
Bruno by the fire
Bruno getting some loving
Time for a snack. The dogs have to do tricks before they can have their treats. Hey, do I spy kids all over the counters?! I think they need some puppy classes. ;-)
Sara gives Spencer a hug
Spencer is exhausted! Camping takes a lot of energy out of him.
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- Listen to the Dogs
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?