Raising Spencer the American Blue-Nose Brindle Pit Bull: Socialization at 10 weeks
To the Mountains
It is important that Spencer is socialized with all types of sights, sounds and smells. We take him up to a house in the mountains so he can experience new things.
We all go for a pack walk. The Pit pup tries really hard to follow us. We let him walk, but when he starts looking tired we carry him. The drive to be with his pack is so strong that he is liable to unhealthily exhaust himself trying to keep up.
He's all Pit when he walks!
Spencer using all his might to follow his pack—look how he totally has the Pit-stride down. "Wait for me!"
Spence following the kids
Spencer tries to eat a moth cocoon. "Hey! NO!" That's not food, you silly pup!
Spencer the Pit Bull tries to eat rocks. Notice the first time he was corrected the correction was more of a push and the pup didn't respond to it. The second correction was a poke and that did the trick. Notice Bruno the Boxer walking by with his bone.
We all go and look at the child-sized dollhouse. Spencer learns boundaries as he and Bruno are told to stay outside.
Look how Bruno lets the pup eat right in front of him, ignoring him. The pup has to eat more times a day than Bruno and this is not the same type of food Bruno eats. We all know about Bruno's skunkish-smelling gas problem, so for the sake of all those around him, Bruno cannot eat Spencer's food. Look how the big guy just lies there, not caring one bit that the pup is eating and he is not. Now that's a good boy, Bruno.
Spencer plays with Bruno in the dog bed. Poor Bruno. Little brothers can be annoying sometimes.
Bruno hanging with Sara in the back seat of the car. He's such a big love.
Zerns Farmers Market
We decide to take a drive to Zerns Farmer’s Market. Since we are able to carry Spencer we bring him with us for the socialization. All of the people, noises, new smells and activity are great for him to experience at such a young age.
Spencer stretches his legs for a few minutes.
Spencer had gone for a long pack walk before we came to the market and he was already exhausted. Everyone loved to reach out and pet him. He calmly took in all of the excitement.
Spencer takes a nap while we all eat ice cream.
Spencer took all of the new experiences in stride. What a good puppy.
Raising a Puppy: Spencer the Pit Bull
- American Pit Bull Terrier Information
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 1
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 2
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 3
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 4
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 5
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 6
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 7
- American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures 8
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- Listen to the Dogs
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?